During the GCSE options process, students are provided with an options booklet and are emailed an online options form to complete.
The options booklet provides information for each subject delivered at Key Stage 4, detailing the course content, the skills gained, and what assessment methods are used.
Year 8 Options
This year the options process has changed. In previous years, students were provided with four option blocks and asked to choose one subject from each.
This year, students in Y8 will be provided with a list of seven different suites from which they need to choose two. Within the suites are different subjects which students will experience lessons in during Year 9. For example, if a student opts for the Art suite, they will study a mix of Fine Art, Photography and Craft and Design. Year 9 is a Foundation Year whereby pupils will gain the skills and knowledge needed in order for them to continue in this subject area at GCSE level.
At the end of Year 9, students are asked to choose one subject from each of their chosen two suites to study throughout Y10 and Y11. These are called specialised choices – they are the subjects they feel they enjoyed the most and would best succeed in.
As an example, if a student chose to study Art and ICT throughout Y9, they may choose specialise in Fine Art and iMedia moving forward into Y10.
Y8 Options Process – 2021/22
- Assembly – For students delivered by HEAD. Wednesday 5th January 2022
- Careers Workshops – Delivered in PSHE lessons. Tuesday 4th to Friday 14th January
- Predicted student grades – Posted home. Wednesday 19th – Friday 21st January
- Options Evening – Wednesday 26th January
Two Main assemblies for parents and students delivered by HEAD – 5pm and 5.30pm followed by displays from each department in classrooms.
- Options Form – Emailed to students’ night of options evening
- Deadline for completed option forms – Wednesday 9th February
- Individual option meetings with students and SLT – w/c 28th February
- Options finalised and letter posted home – by Easter break
Year 9 Options
Students in Y9 will continue with their current options. However, all students will now be asked to choose which Humanities they would like to continue with moving forward into Y10. This will be a choice between Geography and History.
Some students will continue to study a language. Students who do not continue to study a language will choose another subject from the options offered during Y9. This will be based on the student’s potential for success and at the discretion of SLT.
Students will then be invited to a one to one interview with a member of SLT to discuss their subject choices. During this short interview, SLT will look at each student’s current attainment grades, ask why each subject was chosen, and discuss career pathways the student would like to pursue in the future.
If at this point a student has opted to take a subject SLT feels would put them at a disadvantage, this will be discussed at length and alternative choices that are more suitable will be provided.
At the end of the interview, each student will be advised their options are confirmed. Parents will receive a letter in due course detailing the choices made.
Y9 Options Process – 2021/22
- Assembly for students delivered by HEAD – Wednesday 2nd March
- Options form given to students in school – After assembly
- Parent Careers Advice Week – . w/c 7th March
- Deadline for completed forms – Wednesday 16th March
- Individual option meetings with student and SLT – w/c 25th April
- Options finalised and confirmation letter posted home once all interviews have taken place.