GCSE Options 2022
During the GCSE options process, students are provided with an options booklet and are emailed an online options form to complete.
The options booklet provides information for each subject delivered at Key Stage 4, detailing the course content, the skills gained, and what assessment methods are used.
Year 8 Options
The options process has changed slightly for Y8 students. This year, students in Y8 will be provided with a list of seven different faculties from which they need to choose two. Within the faculties are different subjects which students will experience lessons in during Year 9. For example:
The Art faculty consists of:
Art, Craft and Design
If a student opts for the Art faculty, they will rotate between both subjects throughout Year 9. These are classed as foundation subjects.
At the end of Year 9, students are asked to choose one subject from each of their chosen two faculties to study throughout Y10 and Y11. These are called specialised choices – they are the subjects they feel they enjoyed the most and would best succeed in.
As an example, if a student chose to study Art and ICT throughout Y9, they may choose specialise in Fine Art and iMedia moving forward into Y10.
Y8 Options Process – 2021/22
Assembly – For students delivered by Head. Wednesday 5th January
Careers Workshops – Delivered in PSHE lessons. Tuesday 4th to Friday 14th January
Predicted student grades – Posted home. Wednesday 19th – Friday 21st January
- Options Evening – Wednesday 26th January 2
Main assemblies for parents and students delivered by Head – 5pm and 5.30pm
Option stalls in the Gym
- Options Form – Emailed directly to students (Google Form) – After Options Evening
- Parent Careers Advice Week – Online appointments via School Cloud. w/c 31st January
- Deadline for completed forms – Wednesday 9th February
- Option Meetings with Students – w/c 28th February
- Options finalised and letter home confirming choices – by Easter break
Year 9 Options
As outlined above, at the end of Y9 students will specialise in two subjects from their chosen faculties. In addition to this, all students will then be asked to choose which Humanities they would like to continue with moving forward into Y10. This will be a choice between Geography and History.
Some students will continue to study Spanish. For students who do not continue to study Spanish, they will choose another subject from the subjects covered during Y9. This will be based on the student’s potential for success and at the discretion of SLT.
Students will then be invited to a one to one interview with a member of SLT to discuss their subject choices. During this short interview, SLT will look at each student’s current attainment grades, ask why each subject was chosen, and discuss career pathways the student would like to pursue in the future.
If at this point a student has opted to take a subject SLT feels would put them at a disadvantage, this will be discussed at length and alternative choices that are more suitable will be provided.
At the end of the interview, each student will be advised their options are confirmed. Parents will receive a letter in due course detailing the choices made.
Y9 Options Process – 2021/22
- Letter to parents advising process is to start – w/c 28th February
- Assembly – For students delivered by Head. Wednesday 2nd March
- Options Form – Directly to students – After assembly
- Parent Careers Advice Week – Online appointments via School Cloud. w/c 7th March
- Deadline for completed forms – Wednesday 16th March
- Option Meetings with Students – w/c 25th April
- Options finalised and letter home confirming choices – Friday 13th May